Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Pull of Oil Pulling


I have been very excited to write this specific blog entry because it is one of my newest and most effective health finds. Oil pulling is something I have just started doing in the last few months or so. Oil pulling is a traditional Ayurvedic method of swishing a tablespoon of unrefined oil in the mouth in the same way you would a mouthwash. It is to be done on an empty stomach, usually suggested in the morning for about 10-20 minutes. This simple technique is said to remove bacteria and toxins from not just the mouth but from the entire nervous system. When the saliva mixes with the oil it 'pulls' these toxic substances from the body and purifies the system. The main benefit of oil pulling is the strengthening of the teeth and gums as well as whitening and overall oral health. Another main benefit is clearing of the sinuses and throat providing instant relief if you are congested. Oil pulling is also known to cure headaches, colds, back and neck pains, asthma, digestive problems, constipation, heart disease, blood pressure, and reproductive issues. It seems unfathomable that such a simple technique could help cure these aggressive diseases but basically oil pulling helps the body self regulate and balance. It helps detoxify and remove even parasites and heavy metals from the system.
Oil pulling is one of the most successful forms of natural detoxification out there. when the oil is pulled through the teeth and mouth it picks up excess bacterias that build up and cause infections, this is then drained from the body once it is released. For me personally the thought of gargling with oil made me gag, but I tried it and it wasn't bad at all and was actually very mild. It is suggested to use either sesame or sunflower oil both unrefined, which can be bought at almost any super market or health food store. I use sunflower because I feel like it is lighter and more mild tasting. The benefits I experienced were immediate however and I became an oil pulling devotee. The first thing I saw was an immediate surge of energy in the morning when I usually feel groggy and tired as well as a brightening of my complexion. I also noticed a cleanliness in my mouth that I have never really had, even after using mouth wash. It is a sweet and clean feeling and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone as part of your daily routine.

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys,
    I have had a couple questions about the amount of time that the oil needs to be pulled. I know it seems like a lengthy amount of time especially in the morning when you are running around trying to get ready for work or school. Although I find it works the best for me in the mornings, it can be done any time of the day as long as it is on an empty stomach. If you are still open to doing it in the morning, try doing it as soon as you wake up and showering with it and getting ready as you normally would. I have found it has become just part of my daily routine and I don't even think about it. If ten minutes is too long even five minutes will result in positive benefits, just less toxins will be released.

    ReplyDelete