Thursday, May 23, 2013

Weekly Product Review-Kiehls Sun Free Self Tanner

Suddenly it became summer, which means for me wanting a nice and healthy glow. Tanning has been somewhat of a conundrum for me being that I love the look of dark, sun kissed skin but hate the effects it has later on. Because my skin is highly sensitive, this does not help the harmful effects the sun has on my skin in particular. No matter what kind of skin you have however, the damage is ultimately the same. Although a little bit of natural sunshine is good for the body and the soul,  too much can be very detrimental to our physical appearance. Ultraviolet rays are very harmful and are the specific rays in sunlight that damage our skin. These rays change the elasticity of our skin causing it to sag, wrinkle and become very leathery.
Although the look of a natural tan is beautiful, its effects later on can age someone to look 10 to 20 years older than they are. Even worse it causes skin cancer which is one of the leading kinds of cancer being 1 in 3 cases. Tanning beds are an even worse culprit of this releasing three times the amount of UV rays emitted by the sun. I have to admit I was one of those girls living in california that fell victim to the tanning beds, going weekly and loving the color I got. However, once I educated myself I will never ever get in one of those again! It is a prime example of doing something for ourselves now and regretting it later. We as women though, want to look beautiful and feel our best and for most of us that means ditching the pale skin. I notice that when my diet is clean and fresh my skin naturally has more pigment to it and is more even-toned. Drinking Carrot juice is another way to naturally pigment the skin from the inside out. But in the case of summer skin I turn to a fake tan, which I can rest easy with.
Self tanners are in theory a great idea but most of them leave the skin orange and splotchy and not natural looking. The active ingredient in sunless tanning products is called DHA, dihydroxyacetone.  When DHA is applied to the skin it reacts with dead skin cells in the outer layer.  temporarily darkening the skin. Once the dead skin cells fall off the skin the color goes with it within a few days of application. This is a healthy and safe option but it was difficult for me to find a natural, effective product until recently. Kiehls natural self tanner is amazing and it is also natural and free of synthetic ingredients. Kiehls is another favorite company of mine and near the top of my can't live without list.
Kiehls was founded as an old school apothecary in the east village of New York City. All of the ingredients in Kiehls products are natural and pure and derived all over the world, the packaging is also recyclable. I love this company because the products are simple but incredibly effective, while still being health conscious. The self tanning formula is no different. This product is great because it does not smell awful like many self tanners and its consistency is very light and non greasy. The color it produces is very natural and blends into the already natural pigment of the skin. After only an hour after I applied the cream I was noticeably darker.  It is made with apricot kernel oil, cocoa seed butter, and vitamin E. All of these ingredients work together to moisturize the skin while adding a beautiful, natural color. It can also be applied to the face and any area on the body. The use of this product with a small amount of time in the sun is a great combination for a perfect and safe tan! Your complexion, and your winter skin will thank you!
http://www.kiehls.com/Sun-Free-Self-Tanning-Formula/620,default,pd.html

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip for Irish girls like me :) Have you tried putting this on your face? I'm looking for a good one for my face, since I especially don't want to expose it to the rays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey donz,
    I haven't put it on my face but i would definitely recommend it for you. Because its keihls I have full faith that it would be sensitive enough for both of our complexions. I would mix it with a little bit of your normal moisturizer to cut it down a little bit to test it first <3

    ReplyDelete